Ginger is considered a superfood thanks to its benefits for our overall health that has been used for thousands of years in different cultures in traditional and herbal medicine and cosmetics. It is rich in amino acids, minerals, and vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B6, E), making it one of the most powerful ingredients in our diet.
What are the benefits of ginger?
- Antioxidant: It is the main reason it is used in the skin. It prevents cellular damage and premature aging, decreasing collagen degradation and protecting it from free radical damage. You can choose products like masks, shampoos, creams, and lip balms.
- Anti-inflammatory: It can inhibit the production of prostaglandins, which are in charge of increasing the inflammatory response in our body. Also, it has been described that it can prevent some types of cancers.
- Improves nauseous: Stimulates productions of stomach acids and modulates intestine movements.
- Antibacterial: Eliminates microorganisms and can improve conditions like gingivitis.
- Analgesic: It can be part of treatments to improve migraine, arthritis, and other types of pain.
- Reduction of Blood Sugar Levels: Helps to increase insulin levels and decrease the sugar levels in the blood. It can only be consumed if your physician authorizes you, so take supplements only with previous approval.
About the Author: Dr. Angelica Parra is a Licensed Medical Doctor from Venezuela and is currently taking a Master’s degree in Dermatology. She specialized in Aesthetic Medicine and completed Advanced Training in Non-surgical Facial Rejuvenation in Miami, Florida. She has specialized in applying Botox, dermal fillers, skin tightening treatments, and since then, she has worked on cruise ships as an Aesthetic Doctor.