Making a DIY lip mask and scrub to soften and moisturize lips at home is really easy and fun. And you probably already have everything you need to make it!
Lips are a sensitive part of the body, and because of that, they deserve special treatment. Nobody wants to be picking at dead skin all the time, and when lips get too cracked they really hurt. If you like spicy or acidic food, that can create an even bigger problem.
The good news is that it’s really easy to give yourself a DIY lip mask and scrub treatment at home, and you probably have everything you need without even having to go out.
DIY Lip Treatment for Soft Lips
You might think all you need to do for your lips is to put some balm on them. That’s a good thing to do, of course, but it’ll be much more effective if you’ve taken a few other steps first.
Step 1: Exfoliate Lips with DIY Sugar Scrub
Touch your lips right now. Feel any rough spots? That’s most likely dead skin. In order to get your lips to absorb and hold moisture, you’re going to have to get the dead skin off. (Same basic principle as the exfoliating on the rest of your face, actually.) There are a few ways to exfoliate, like going over your lips gently with a toothbrush or a damp washcloth, but my favorite way to slough off the dead skin is with a homemade sugar scrub.
- 1 teaspoon organic coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon organic raw sugar
- If your coconut oil is in a very solid state, you will need to soften it somewhat. I tend to use these masks when I’m taking a bath, so if I let the glass bowl sit in the warm water for a few minutes, the coconut oil becomes the perfect consistency for lip application. Don’t get it too hot though, because it will melt the sugar if you do, and you want the sugar to remain granulated.
- Once the coconut oil is mushy enough, mix the sugar and oil with your finger and apply to your lips. You can let it soak in for two to three minutes so the coconut oil can moisturize and help soften dead skin, and then begin to scrub your lips. Use your index finger and go in a circular motion, making sure to cover your entire mouth a few times.
- Rinse off the scrub and let your lips rest for a few minutes.
Step 2: DIY Lip Mask to Moisturize & Soothe
Exfoliating can be a little irritating to your lips, so next, you’re going to relax them with a nice DIY lip mask.
The DIY lip mask is even simpler than the scrub. It’s meant to moisturize and soothe your lips. Again, it has only two ingredients.
- 1 teaspoon raw, organic honey
- ½ teaspoon fresh pomegranate juice (optional)
While there are two ingredients to this DIY lip mask, only one of them is absolutely necessary. If you only have honey on hand, don’t worry! It will work wonderfully on your lips. Honey moisturizes your lips and has antibiotic properties, but it’s also nice and thick, which means that it will stay on when you apply it.
Read More at DIY NATURAL