Itchy skin, medically known as pruritus, may develop on a single area of the body or the entire body.
Itchiness causes a sensation on the skin that makes you almost desperate to scratch it and can be highly irritating.
While itchy skin can occur in any part of the body, the feet are more prone to this problem because they are more frequently sweaty as compared to other body parts.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for itchy feet.
1. Cold Compress
To get instant relief from itchy feet, nothing works better than a cold compress.
The sensations of both cold and itching travel along the same nerve fibers in the body, so applying a cold compress can bring immediate relief from itchiness. The cold temperature also helps numb the area, which in turn helps reduce the itching sensation.
- Wrap a few ice cubes in a clean cloth. Put this ice pack on the itchy area of your feet for a few minutes. Take a break for 30 seconds and reapply it. Repeat until the itching stops. Use this remedy as needed.
- You can also run cool tap water over the affected feet for as long as necessary.
Caution: Never put ice directly on the skin, as it can lead to frostbite.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has been used as a natural remedy for centuries to ease itchiness of any type. Being acidic in nature, it helps kill fungi and bacteria that can be responsible for itchiness on your feet. It also helps restore the natural pH balance of your skin.
- For topical use: Mix 1 part raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar with 3 parts warm water in a small tub or a bucket. Soak your feet in this solution for 15 minutes, then thoroughly pat them dry. Do this twice every day for 1 week or so.
- For consumption: Add 2 teaspoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water. Optionally, add 1 teaspoon of raw honey. Drink it twice daily.
3. Colloidal Oatmeal
Colloidal oatmeal (oats ground into an extremely fine powder) helps soothe and comfort itchy skin, even if the problem is just on your feet. It contains anti-irritating, anti-inflammatory and soothing properties that provide instant relief from itching.
For topical use:
- Add ½ cup of colloidal oatmeal to a small tub filled with lukewarm water. Soak your feet in this water for at least 15 to 20 minutes. Use this remedy up to 3 times a day, depending on the severity of your condition.
- Alternatively, add a little water to 1 cup of colloidal oatmeal and leave it until it thickens into a paste-like consistency. Apply this mixture on your itchy feet, cover it with a cloth and leave it on for 30 minutes. Use this remedy once daily.
4. Aloe Vera
If you have itchy feet due to extremely dry skin or scabies, aloe vera can come to your rescue.
Aloe vera contains excellent anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antifungal properties. Plus, it contains vitamin E that helps keep the skin moisturized and in turn reduces itching.
Read Also: DIY Grape Skin Care Recipes